Rheological and Pasting Properties of Flour, Extruded Products and Fresh Samples from Yellow Root Cassava, Orange Fleshed Sweet Potato, Plantain Fortified with Moringa oleifera Leaves

Main Article Content

L. N. Uzoaga
E. A. Mazi
N. Oganezi
A. N. Kanu

Abstract

Introduction: There is complete dependence on wheat flour for baked products, which are imported from other parts as wheat can’t grow in Nigeria. Therefore, to reduce the cost of importation, composite flour can be an alternative. Composite flour has some advantages for developing countries such as Nigeria as it reduces the importation of wheat flour and encourages the use of locally available resource for making flour.

Methodology: Orange -fleshed sweet potatoes (OFSP), yellow roots cassava (YRC) were all sourced from National Root Crops Research Institute Umudike (NRCRI), while the plantain and Moringa oleifera leaves were gotten from Umuahia market and Michael Okpara University of Agriculture Umudike (MOUAU) respectively. The samples were processed into flour to form different blend ratio. The flour blend constitutes of yellow root cassava, orange fleshed sweet potato and plantain which were fortified with Moringa oleifera leaves at constant portion of 5% while the YRC, OFSP and plantain were varied at different concentrations.

Three (3) experiments were conducted, of which experiment 1 is the flour made from the blend of YRC, OFSP, plantain and moringa oleifera leave. Sample A, B, C, D, E F, G and H were the composite flour. A consist of  65% YRC, 10% OFSP, 20% Plantain, 5% moringa leaves powder: B consist of 70% YRC, 10% OFSP, 15% Plantain, 5% moringa leaves powder: C is 75% YRC, 10% OFSP, 10% Plantain, 5% moringa leaves powder, D is made up of  80% YRC, 5% OFSP, 10% Plantain, 5% moringa leaves powder, E is  85% YRC, 5% OFSP, 5% Plantain, 5% moringa leaves powder, F is 95% and 5% moringa leaves powder, G is 95% plantain and 5% moringa leaves powder and H is 95% and 5% moringa leaves powder respectively. Experiment 2 was the extruded baked snacks from the blend ratio of composite flour and Experiment 3 was the fresh of yellow root cassava, plantain and orange fleshed sweet potatoes analysed on fresh basis.

Results: The breakdown of the extruded baked snacks ranged between (254.72 RVU to 298.54 RVU) from sample P to J. No significant difference (P >0.05) was observed among samples K (271.64 RVU), N (276.64 RVU) and M (279.11 RVU). Peak viscosity values obtained from experiment 1 ranged from 202.31 RVU to 388.68 RVU. There was no significant difference (P >0.05) among the samples A (382.65 RVU), D (382.07 RVU), E (383.07 RVU) and H (384.63 RVU).The holding strength of the composite flour in this study range from 123.16 RVU to 256.62 RVU. The result on experiment 3i. e. fresh of yellow root cassava had the highest peak viscosity of (355.72 RVU), followed by sample R (291.75) and sample S (260.09 RVU) which were the fresh plantain and fresh orange-fleshed sweet potato. Result of trough, indicated that sample Q (117.17 RVU) had the highest trough followed by sample R (83.40 RVU) and S (80.16 RVU). A significant difference was observed on final viscosity within the fresh samples whereby sample Q (394.09 RVU) had the highest score followed by sample R (334.13 RVU) and S (300.63 RVU).

Conclusion: There was no significant difference (P >0.05) within experiment 1, 2 and 3 on peak value, final viscosity, setback, breakdown and peak time while the trough was high in experiment 1 (composite flour) than in experiment 2 and 3. As food, the extrudates with low relative viscosity can easily be eaten by infants while those with high viscosity can only be eaten easily by adults because they tend to be hard and cohesive in texture than samples with low viscosities.

Keywords:
Pasting properties, composite flour, extruded products.

Article Details

How to Cite
Uzoaga, L. N., Mazi, E. A., Oganezi, N., & Kanu, A. N. (2020). Rheological and Pasting Properties of Flour, Extruded Products and Fresh Samples from Yellow Root Cassava, Orange Fleshed Sweet Potato, Plantain Fortified with Moringa oleifera Leaves. Asian Plant Research Journal, 4(1), 1-13. https://doi.org/10.9734/aprj/2020/v4i130075
Section
Original Research Article

References

Lusas EW, Rooney LW. Snack foods processing. Boca Raton: CRC Press LLC. Technomic Publishing Company. Liberaries Australia. 2001;21:639.

Niba LL, Bokanga MM, Jackson FL, Schlimme DS, Li BW. Physicochemical properties and starch granular characteristics of flour from various Manihot esculenta (cassava) genotypes. J. Food Sci. 2001 67(5):1701-1705.

Osundahunsi OF. Effect of drying methods on composition, sensory evaluation and rheological value of pupuru (Fermented cassava product). J. Food Technol. 2005; 3(3):353-355.

Henshaw FO, Adebowale AA. Amylogragh pasting properties and swelling power of six varieties of cowpea (Vigna unguiculata) Starch. Nig. Food J. 2004;22:33.

Adeyemi SA, Ogazi P. The place of plantain in composite flour. Commerce Industry, Lagos state, Nigeria, WHO Rep Seri No 522 WHO Geneva; 1985.

Shittu TA, Raji AO, Sanni AO. Effect of baking time on physical properties of bread loaf. Food Res Int. 2007;40(2):280-290

Akubor PI, Ukwuru MU. Functional properties and biscuit making potential of soybean and cassava flour blends.Plant Food Hum. Nutr. 2005;58:1-12.

Oladunmoye, OO. Akinoso R, Olapade AA. Evaluation of some physical-chemical properties of wheat, cassava, maize and cowpea flours for bread making. J Food Qual. 2010;22:693-708.

Hugo LF, Rooney LW, Taylo JRN. Malted sorghum as a functionalingredient in composite bread. Cereal Sci. 2000; 79(4):428-443.

West KP. Extent of vitamin A deficiency among preschool children and women of reproductive age. The Journal of Nutrition. 2002;132(9):2857S–66S.

Chavez A, Sanchez T, Ceballos H, Rodriguez-Amaya D, Nestel P, Tohme J. Retention of carotenoids in cassava roots submitted to different processing methods. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 2007;87(3):388–93.

FAOSTAT. Agricultural data. Rome, Italy: Food and agriculture organization of the United Nations. Food Res Int. 2004;40(2): 280-290.
(Accessed 05.10.14)

Woolfe JA. The potato in Human Diet Cambridge University press, Cambridge England. 1992; 251. Yisa G. Mechanization: Way forward. Lead paper presented at the conference of Nigeria Institution of Agric Engineers, Yola- Nigeria; 2008.

Yiu HH. Extruded Snacks. Handbook of Food Science, Technology, and Engineering. CRC Press Japan. 2006; 4:168-182.

Numfor FA, Walter WM, Schwartz SJ. Effect of emulsifiers on the physical properties of native and fermented cassava starches. J. Agric. Fd. Chem. 1996;44:2595–2599.

Emiola L, Delarosa LC. Physicochemical characteristics of yam starches. J. Food Biochem. 1981;5:115-130.

Sanni LO, Kosoko SB, Adebowale AA, Adeoye RJ. The influence of palm oil and chemical modification on the pasting and sensory properties of Fufu flour. Intl. J. Food Prop. 2004;7(2):229–237.

Bakare HA. Evaluation of rheological properties and baking performance of wheat composite flour produced from Iye peeled breadfruit (Artocarpus communis) and cassava. Ph.D Thesis. Food science and technol, University of Ibadan. 2008; 170.

Rosenthal FRT, Nakamura T, Espindola AMC Jochimek MR. Structure of starch granules. J. Nutrional Biochemistry.1994; 26:50-55.

Maziya-dixon B, Adebowale AA, Onabanjo OO, Dixon AGO. Effect of variety and drying methods on physic-chemical properties of highquality cassava flour from yellow root cassava roots. African Crop Science Conference Processing. 2005;7:635-641.

Mazi WA. Senok A, Al-Mahmeed A, Arzese K. Bindayna, and G. Botta. Trends in antibiotic sensitivity pattern and molecular detection of tet(O)-mediated tetracycline resistance in Campylobacter jejuni isolates from human and poultry sources.J. Infect. Dis. 2008;61:82–84.

Maziya-Dixon B, Dixon AGO, Adebowale, AA. Targeting different end uses of cassava: Genotypic variations for cyanogenic potentials and pasting properties. A paper presented at ISTRC-AB Symposium, Whitesands Hotel, Mombasa, Kenya; 2004.

Ajatta MA, Akinola SA, Osundahunsi OF. Proximate, functional and pasting properties of composite flours made from wheat, breadfruit and cassava starch. AppliedTropical Agriculture. 2016;21(3): 158-165.

Peroni FHG, Rocha TS, Franco CML. Some structural and physicochemical characteristics of tuber and root starches. Food Science and Technology International. 2006;12(6):505-513..

Oduro L, Ellis WO, Dzeidzoave NT, Nimako-yeboah K. Quality of “garri” from selected processing zones in Ghana. Food Control. 2000;11:297-303.

Arisa NU, Adelekan AO, Alamu AE, Ogunfowora EJ. Effect of pretreatment of plantain (Musa parasidiaca) flour on pasting and sensory characteristics of buiscuit. International of food and nutrition science.2013;29(1):2165-5316.

Ragaee S, Abdel-Aal El-Sm. Pasting properties of starch and protein in selected cereals and quality of their food products. Food Chemistry. 2006;95:9-18.

Adebowale YA, Adeyemi IA, Oshodi AA. Variability in the physicochemical, nutritional and antinutritional attributes of six Mucuna species. Food Chemistry. 2005;89:37-48.

Patindola J, Wanga Y, Jane J. Structure functionality changes in starch following rough rice storage. J Food Sci. Starch/Stärke. 2005;57:197–207.

Iwe MO, Ngoddy PO. Effect of extrusion on trypsin inhibitor content of soy-sweet potato mixtures. J. Food Proc. Preserv. 2000;24:453-463.

Maziya-Dixon B, Dixon AGO, Adebowale AA. Targeting different end uses of cassava: Genotypic variations for cyanogenic potentials and pasting properties. A paper presented at ISTRC-AB Symposium, Whitesands Hotel, Mombasa, Kenya. J. Food Qual. 2004; 33:693-708.

Tolmasquim E, Correˆ a AMN, Tolmasquim ST. New starches. Properties of five varieties of cowpea starch. Cereal Chem.1971;48:132–139.

Kim YS, Wiesen born DP, Orr PH, Grant LA. Screening potato starch for novel properties using differential scanning calorimetry. J. Food Sci.1995;60:1060– 1065.