Main Article Content
This study was carried out in February 2019 at the laboratory; Department of Biology, College of Taymaa, Tabuk University. The numbers of germinated seeds were recorded daily after Soaking for two days during 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th and 30th days and final percentage calculated at the end of germination period. Germination percentage, radical length and vigor index values were calculated for the two studied species. The two species (S) under study, days of germination (D) and interaction between them showed highly significant (P < 0.01) for seed germination. Despite germination percentages being slightly higher at the 10th day and 15th day for M. oleifera than M. peregrina, the germination percentages recorded higher values at the 20th, 25th and 30th days for M. peregrina than M. oleifera. The highest seed germinated number recorded at 20th day and 15th day for M. peregrina and M. oleifera, respectively with significant differences between the numbers of germinated seed in two species. Generally, germination %, radical length and vigor index of M. peregrina recorded a higher value compared to M. oleifera. A total value of germination percentage (80.33% and 65.33%) was recorded for M. peregrina and M. oleifera seed after 20 days from germinating time, respectively.
2. Manzoor M, Anwar F, Iqbal T, Bhnager MI. Physico-chemical characterization of Moringa concanensis seeds and seed oil. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 2007;84:413-419.
3. ICUN. A Guide to Medicinal Plants in South Africa. IUCN Centre for Mediterranean Cooperation, Campanillas, Málaga; 2005.
4. El-Dabh RS, El-Khateeb MA, Mazher AAM, Abd El-Badaie AA. Effect of salinity on growth and chemical constituents of Moringa oleifera Lam. The Bulletin of Faculty of Agriculture Cairo University; 2011.
5. Fuglie LJ. The Miracle Tree: Moringa oleifera: Natural Nutrition for the Tropics. Church World Service, Dakar. 68 pp.; revised in 2001 and published as The Miracle Tree: The Multiple Attributes of Moringa. 1999;172.
6. Anwar F, Bhanger MI. Analytical characterization of Moringa oleifera seed oil grown in temperate regions of Pakistan. J. Agric. Food Chem. 2003;51:6558-6563.
7. Godino M, Arias C, Izquierdo MI. Moringa oleifera: potential areas of cultivation on the Iberian Peninsula. Acta Horticulturae. 2017;1158:405-411.
8. Bellostas N, Sørensen JC, Nikiema A, Sørensen H, Pasternak D, Kumar S. Glucosinolates in leaves of Moringa species grown and disseminated in Niger. Afr. J. Agric. Res. 2010;5:1338-1340.
9. Alaklabi A. Genetic diversity of Moringa peregrina species in Saudi Arabia with ITS sequences. Saudi J. of Biolo. Sci. 2015; 22:186-190.
10. USDA-ARS. Beltsville, USA: National Germplasm Resources Laboratory.
11. Fahey JW. Moringa oleifera: A review of the medical evidence for its nutritional, therapeutic, and prophylactic properties. Trees for Life J. 2005;1:1-5.
12. Olson ME. Ontogenetic origins of floral bilateral symmetry in Moringaceae (Brassicales). American J. of Botany. 2003;890(1): 49-71.
13. Razis AFA, Ibrahim MD, Kntayya SB. Health benefits of Moringa oleifera. Asian Pac. J. Cancer Prev.2014;15:20.8571.
14. Vongsak B, Sithisam P, Gritsanapan W. Simultaneous HPLCquantitative analysis of active compounds in leaves of Moringa oleifera Lam. J. Chromatogr Sci. 2014;52: 641-645.
15. Abd El-Wahab RH. Reproduction Ecology of Wild Trees and Shrubs in Southern Sinai, Egypt (M.Sc. diss.). Botany Department, Faculty of Science, Suez Canal University, Ismailia, Egypt; 1995.
16. Boulos L. In: Flora of Egypt Geraniaceae – Boraginaceae, vol. II. Al-Hadara Publishing, Cairo, Egypt; 2000.
17. El-Alfy TS, Ezat SM, Hegazy AK, Amer AMM, Kamel GM. Isolation of biologically active constituents from Moringa peregrina (Forsk.) Fiori (Family: Moringaceae) growing in Egypt. Pharmacogn. Mag. 2011;26:109-115.
18. Wojtyla Ł, Lechowska K, Kubala S, Garnczarska M. Different Modes of Hydrogen Peroxide Action during Seed Germination. Front. Plant Sci. 2016;7:66.
19. McNair JN, Sunkara A, Frobish D. How to analyse seed germination data using statistical timeto-event analysis: Non-parametric and semi-parametric methods. Seed Sci. Res. 2012;22:77-95.
20. Bewley JD, Black M. Physiology and Biochemistry of Seeds. Berlin: Springer Verlag; 1982.
21. Urva HS, Jamil Y, Haq ZU, Mujahid T, Khan AU, Iqbal M, Abbas M. Low power continuous wave-laser seed irradiation effect on Moringa oleifera germination, seedling growth and biochemical attributes. J. of Photochemistry & Photobiology, B: Biology. 2017;170:314-323.
22. Asante WJ, Ochire-Boadu K, Baatuuwie N. Initial growth response of M. oleifera seedlings to different soil amendments, Afr. J. Agric. Res. 2012;7:6082-6086.
23. Alatar AA. Effect of temperature and salinity on germination of Achillea fragrantissima and Moringa peregrina from Saudi Arabia. Afr. J. of Biotech. 2011; 10(17):3393-3398.
24. Labouriau LG, Valadares MEB. On the germination of seeds: Calotropis procera (Ait.) Ait.f. Anais da Academia Brasileira de Ciências. 1976;48(2):263-284.
25. Iqbal M, Ul Haq Z, Malik A, Ayoub CM, Jamil Y, Nisar J. Pre-Soaking seed magnetic field stimulation: A good option to enhance bitter gourd germination, seedling growth and yield characteristics, Biocatal. Agric. Biotechnol. 2016;5:30-37.
26. Gomez KA, Gomez AA. Statistical procedures for agricultural research (2Ed.). John Wiley and Sons, New York. 1984; 680.
27. Steel RGG, Torrie H, Dickey DA. Principals and Procedures of Statistics. McGraw Hill Book Co. Inc., New York; 1997.
28. Padilla C, Fraga N, Suárez M. Effect of the soaking time of moringa (Moringa oleífera) seeds on the germination and growth indicators of the plant. Cuban J. of Agric. Sci. 2012;46(4):419-421.
29. Gomaa NH, Picó FX. Seed germination, seedling traits, and seed bank of the tree Moringa peregrina (Moringaceae) in a hyper-arid environment. American J. of Botany. 2011;98(6):1024-1030.
30. Fotouo-MH, Du Toit ES, Robbertse PJ. Germination and ultrastructural studies of seeds produced by a fast-growing, drought-resistant tree: implications for its domestication and seed storage. AoB PLANTS. 2015;7: plv016.
31. Bezerra AME, Filho SM, Freitas JBS, Teofilo EM. Avaliac¸a˜o da qualidade das sementes de Moringa oleifera Lam. durante o armazenamento (Evaluation of quality of the drumstick seeds during the storage). Ciencia e Agrot. 2004;28:1240-1246.
32. Madinur, NI. Seed viability in drumstick (Moringa oleifera Lamk.). Master Thesis. University of Agricultural Sciences, Dwarwad; 2007.
33. Aziza A, Haben A, Becker M. Seed priming enhances germination and seedling growth of barley under condition of P and Zn deficiency. J Plant Nutr. Soil Sci. 2004; 167:630-636.
34. Iglesias RG, Babiano MJ. ABA levels in chick-pea seeds during the first twenty-four hours of germination. Effect of polyethyleneglycol. Phytochemistry. 1996; 41:681-683.